History Of The Ladies Section

As previously stated, the first meeting of the Ladies’ Section was held in Fernihough’s Café on Tuesday 13th February 1906. The Agenda for the Meeting was to elect officers and committee and fix a medal day. Thus Mrs Jessop Hulton was elected Chairwoman for 1906, Lady Hulton - President of the Ladies Section with Secretary Miss Read and Assistant Secretary Alice Haslam. The Lady Captain for 1906 was Mrs Flitcroft and F. Gask Esq., Manchester and Liverpool District Bank, Deansgate, Bolton was Treasurer.

Surprisingly there were 100 ladies who joined the Club. In today’s world most Clubs are struggling to attract half this number but, of course, there are now many local Clubs to choose from.

A sum of 6d was paid to enter medal competitions in order to provide mementoes for the winner. Any surplus money was given as second prize and even a third prize.

In 1908 Deane Ladies Golf Club was affiliated to the Ladies Golf Union.

In 1913 The Lancashire Coronation Medal competition was held at Deane with 84 competitors from all over the County.
In 1920 the Ladies Section joined the Manchester and District Ladies Golf Association.

The Annual Report of 1921-22 in the Minute Book records there were astonishingly 150 lady playing members!!

It is most fitting that mention should be made of Pat Sharrock who has been a playing member for over 50 years having joined as a junior when her mother, Rosie Schofield, was Lady Captain. Rosie took the office of Lady Captain twice as did her father Ted Schofield (1961 and 1962). Pat has been an invaluable member of the Ladies Section, having held every office on committee and now holds honorary membership of the Club. Pat brought honour to the Club in 2004 when she undertook the prestigious office of President of the Past Captains Association.

In 1982 Zoe Brooks achieved a course record in the Ladies’ Section 76-13-63. Another notable achievement was by Anne Longworth in 1986 when she entered the new Zealand Lamb Competition and with a 90-33-57 came in the top 10 out of 28,000 players from 874 Clubs (she won half a lamb!)

On the 11th February 1987 the Lady Captain caught the first sighting of ‘The Flasher’.

Successes - Bolton Championship

1920 – Deane - won by Mrs Scowcroft
1938 – Deane - won by Miss Pacy
1948 & 9 – Miss Caldwell won the Preston Trophy and again in 1953

This picture shows Nancy Caldwell playing Joyce Booth in the Ladies Championship at Bolton Golf Club

Successes - Golf Cot

Won by the Deane Ladies’ Team in 1963, 1964, 1965, 1974, 1976, 1977, 1984 & 1988

Successes - Lomax Bowl Competition (now the Challenge Bowl)

1930 - won by Jessie Dixon
1947 - won by E. Tinsley
1956 - won by M. Blower
1964 – won by Mrs Grundy
1976 - won by Ann Glover
1980 – won by M. Haworth
1990 - won by Mary Berry
2001 – won by Judith Atkinson
2010 - Barbara Spencer won the Bolton Challenge Bowl Higher Handicap Trophy.

Lancashire Ladies County Golf Association - 'Lady Derby Challenge Cup'

Won in 1989 by Mrs Zoe Brooks...
...and in 2001 by Mrs Judith Atkinson (right)

Lancashire Ladies Handicap Shield

Won by Deane Ladies in 1968...
...and again in 2000

Trophies

In 1936 Mr G. Anderson gave a Cup and Replica to be played for each year. This was to be called ‘The Anderson Cup’ knock out competition. Miss Tinsley was the first person to win the Cup. This Cup is still played for today where there are 4 qualifiers who then play matchplay to determine the winner. In the AGM of 1943 the Cup was placed in the care of the Bank and at the same time it was proposed that the Cup be played for as a Medal Round and furthermore at the committee meeting 30th January 1944 it was agreed that partners should be drawn for the Anderson Cup.

With the outbreak of war, in 1939 the Ladies Section set up a “Comforts Fund”. From evening whist drives and sweep money from competitions they gave money to the Red Cross. The ladies obtained wool from the Mayoress’s Fund and met in the Club House on Saturday afternoons to knit comforts for H.M. Forces.

In 1949 Miss Slee offered the Ladies’ Section a Silver Rose Bowl in memory of Miss Florence Pacy. When in 1974 Miss Slee left the area to live in Carlisle, she gave a cheque for £110 to the Ladies’ Section to be invested for the Pacy Trophy prize and returned to the Club for the presentation whenever she was able. Today this bowl is still played for and each year 10 qualifiers from the LGU medals play 18 holes at the end of the season (this is also a Major Board Competition).

In 1974 Mr Gruszkos gave a trophy in memory of his wife Phyllis which was to be played for over 36 holes. However, in 1976 it was proposed and agreed that the trophy would best be played for with the 4 best nett scores returned from Opening Day to Closing Day.

In 1974 Doreen Holland gave a trophy to the Ladies’ Section to be played for by Past Captains. The first winner of this trophy was Mildred Haworth. Mrs Holland is no longer a member of the Club but every year she very kindly gives a prize for the winner and a prize for best nett score of a non past captain.

When Hannah Shaw died in 1982, her husband and daughter Frances Baxendale donated a painting (now displayed in the Lounge) and a medal competition was run for many years.

It was agreed at the 1982 AGM to run a Singles Knock Out apart from the Anderson Cup and Mr Kevan Dunn kindly donated the Trophy, the first winner being Phil Long in 1983.


The Winrow Rosebowls were donated in 1993 by Lilian and Lynda Winrow for the doubles knock out. The first winners were Margaret Culley and Maureen Farrell.
Course Status
Currently open
19.04.2018 06:50
Damp in places
Weather
  • 2018-04-19
  • 2018-04-20
  • 2018-04-21
  • 2018-04-22
  • 2018-04-23
Need to know more weather details? Click here to see the weather for the next 5 days.
Book a Tee Time
Ready to book? Our booking system will make it easy for you.